Friday, August 5, 2011

Book Review: The Breaking of Eggs

The Breaking of Eggs, Jim Powell
8.5.11
This book barely squeaks by the dialogue test, of being being able to differentiate between who's talking without looking at their names. After fifty pages, all I could think was that the book had an overlay filter of pretension and snobbery, almost elitism, that radiated from the main character--who's (almost?) ironically communist/leftist. I keep going back and forth between wether the tone is intentional or if the author lacks control.

I can't quite determine if the book is obnoxious because the main character is intentionally narrow-minded and pretentious, and the author loses control over the tone, or if the author himself isn't aware of how redundant his themes are. Either way, I committed to finishing it, but I didn't like it that much. The book needed to change fairly drastically in order for me to like it, and unfortunately that just really didn't happen.

Basically, the book could have been summarized with one or two quick statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment