Sunday, February 20, 2011

Book Review: As I Lay Dying

As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner
2.12.11 - 2.20.11

"And Cash like sawing the long hot sad yellow day up into planks and nailing them to something" -- 26

I can't say I enjoyed this one a whole lot. The sentences were just a little too long for my taste, I suppose. I read a character summary in the beginning to help me keep track of everyone, and that helped more than I feel like should be necessary (had the book been written better).

My dad was the one who recommended the book to me. It was while I was in high school. I was in Borders, talking to him on the phone, and I was going through a pretty hard time. He said he had read the book in high school when he was going through a (albeit much milder) rough time, and it helped a lot.

Usually his recommendations are pretty decent. Still not quite sure why I didn't like this one--I can't think of an articulate critique, so I think I'll have to read The Sound & The Fury before I make up my mind about Faulkner.

No comments:

Post a Comment